Drone control system for monitoring building structures. This is a design challenge with 12,000 EUR in prizes. Can you come up with a solution that makes steel profile installation easier, reduces execution errors, controls the quality of the building structures, and cuts execution costs? Take a look at other recent challenges published on ennomotive. Join the challenge (click on the button below), register, and download the complete description of this competition. The deadline for submissions is the 15th of December, 2020.
BackgroundSince the introduction of steel in the construction sector as a structural material, the number of structures has grown exponentially, and so has their complexity and quality control requirements. The building of metallic structures requires both preparations in the factory (sheeting, cutting, welding, etc.) and on-site (positioning, anchoring, etc.). Although factories have the required resources, sometimes the assembly of structures takes place in remote locations where technical and human resources are very limited. This may endanger the correct assembly and quality of the structure. The Design Challenge: A Drone Control System for Monitoring Structures The building of the metallic structure requires the correct control of the different required steps for the installation of every profile or part:
- On-site geolocation of the exact planned spot to carry out the foundation or connection with other profiles. It must include the relative height of the site.
- Scanning the barcodes of every single part. Bar codes are added previously in the factory to ensure the correct installation according to the construction plan.
- Monitoring the right placement of each steel profile, once installed, especially the abutment head, to control potential plumbing or twist of the steel profiles.
What the client is looking forThe main goal of this challenge is to find a drone control system solution that makes profile-installation easier, reduces execution errors, controls the quality of the structures, and cuts execution costs. The said solution must carry out all or some of the following operations:
- To geolocate the foundation and installation spots (± 2cm).
- To laser mark these spots on the ground. (± 2cm)
- To geolocate the abutment heads of the steel profiles (± 2cm)
- To indicate the plumb or twist of the steel profile (± 0.5º).
Evaluation CriteriaThe drone control system solutions will be evaluated according to the following criteria. In order of importance:
- Higher robustness of the solution and technical viability.
- The lower percentage of errors
- The higher degree of automation
- Possibility to be used remotely and off-line
- Best Business Case: initial investment (CAPEX) + operational cost (OPEX)