Our client is a company specialized in the production of sealing systems for the automotive industry.
Company’s goals include a continuous improvement in terms of product quality, cost efficiency and customer service.
Companies want to increase their productivity and improve their competitiveness and presence in the current global world.
Our client has improved in this area. However, now they would like to push this progress even further, which is why they are proposing this challenge, to further reduce their lead time and a better ergonomic by improving their storage methods.
Each rubber extrusion line manufactures a single part every 7 sec. (cycle time), then some machines join the unattached ends by thermally fused welding, but it is necessary to stock some parts into containers.
The storage system receives a rubber part (between 2 and 3,8 meters long) every 7 seconds.
Their actual container is too heavy and too long, so it is very difficult to move it around.
The client has already tried different designs but problems such as the ergonomics or size of the container or problems with damaging the stored material have arisen.
We have created a document (find attached specifications.pdf file) in which many details are given. There you will find information about the needed characteristics and requirements, the current layout of the container and the prototypes that the client has already tried.
What the client is looking for
The client is looking for a new solution for their storage container:
- A ergonomic design in which the storage and collection of the parts from 2 sides is easy and in which the parts do not suffer any changes or quality problem is needed.
- Easily portable container (if lifted from the base, no rocking). 1 person must be able to move it manually.
- High storage density goal: 200 pieces/m3. For the dimensions of the parts, it can be considered an average of 35x35 mm2 of cross-section and 4000 mm of length for each part.
- Strong enough to carry 700kg of goods. It can be considered an average weight per meter of the parts of 420 g/m
- It has to allow the storage and collection of pieces 1 by 1, 2 by 2 up until 4 by 4.
others important needs that are also stated in the document: specifications.pdf
The container dimensions available are:
- maximum length is 2.000mm
- maximum width is 800mm
- maximum weight is 100 kg
The evaluation criteria in each of the rounds of the tournament for the proposed solutions are:
- Storage density (goal: 200 pieces/m3)
- Easily portable and safe to move
- Ergonomic: Compliance with required cycle time requirements (6 sec.)
- Lower investment. Required investment in each container should be below 550€
- Possibility to integrate into each end line
This is a 3-round tournament with the following expected submissions:
A 2-page PDF document which will include:
- Description of your proposal
- Draft design of the container.
- Container Materials.
- Detailed 3D model of the container.
- Estimated investments.
- Required clarifications
- During this round, the client will manufacture and test prototypes to confirm requirements.
This is a 3‐round tournament:
- 1st round: 5 weeks to present solutions + 1 week for evaluation
- 2nd round: 3 weeks to present solutions + 1 week for evaluation
- 3rd round: 2 weeks + 1 week for evaluation