Alternatives to Lost wax smelting
Premio: 5.000 €
Indra is the leading consulting and technology multinational in Spain and Latin America. It provides solutions and services for the Transport and Traffic, Energy and Industry, Public Administration and Healthcare, Financial Services, Security and Defense and Telecom and Media sectors.
Indra develops and supplies systems for aircrafts that include parts being produced by a selected outsourced manufacturers network.
Some complex parts are produced using lost wax smelting. This is a very ancient method developed by the Akkadian culture. It uses wax molds that are destroyed after the production of each part.
Lost wax smelting has a lot of advantages such precision but also some disadvantages, particularly cost and flexibility and limited number of suppliers in the market.
What the client is looking for
In order to improve the production of complex parts Indra is looking for:
- Alternative manufacturing processes to lost wax smelting
- Alternative lost wax smelting suppliers anywhere around the world.
New processes or suppliers should comply with parts target specifications (sample specification will be sent to participants upon reception of signed NDA) while improving production costs and/or flexibility.
This tournament will have the following rounds and submissions:
A 1-2 pages description with relevant information in annex.
Proposed alternative to Lost wax smelting with feasibility evidence
- Alternative process to manufacture complex metal parts (see sample model) and provide examples of other parts produced with the proposed process
- Alternative Lost wax smelting supplier with experience in the Aerospace industry or equivalent quality compliance, providing references of parts and/or clients.
- For alternative process
- To Be process description to produce the target part.
- To Be estimated costs and lead times for the target part.
- For alternative suppliers
- Suppliers quotation to manufacture the target part.
During this phase additional information and supplier conditions will be provided for cost calculations
· Clarifications on phase 2 submission
- Compliance with target specification of the part
- Cost reduction
- Lower recurring cost /unit
- Lower non-recurrent cost (investment in molds, etc.)
- Production lead time reduction
- Feasibility evidence based on sample parts case studies or supplier quotation
The overall duration of the tournament will be 5 weeks distributed in the following way:
- First round: 3 weeks + 1 day evaluation
- Second round: 1 week + 2 days evaluation
- Third round: 0,5 weeks + 1 day evaluation