This is a design project where an automotive company is looking for a new container to store rubber coming from an extrusion line.
Each rubber extrusion line manufactures a single part every 7 sec. (cycle time), then some machines join the unattached ends by thermally fused welding, but it is necessary to stock some parts in containers.
The storage system receives a rubber part (between 2 and 3,8 meters long) every 7 seconds.
Their actual container is too heavy and too long, so it is very difficult to move it around.
The company has already tried different designs but problems such as the ergonomics or size of the container or problems with damaging the stored material have arisen.
After joining the challenge, you will find information about product characteristics, layout of current container and the prototypes that the client has tried. (find attached specifications.pdf file)
What the client is looking for
The client is looking for a new and better solution for their storage container:
- A ergonomic design in which the storage and collection of the parts from 2 sides is easy and in which the parts do not suffer any changes or quality problem is needed.
- Easily portable container (if lifted from the base, no rocking). 1 person must be able to move it manually.
- High storage density goal: 200 pieces/m3. For the dimensions of the parts, it can be considered an average of 35×35 mm2 of cross-section and 4000 mm of length for each part.
- Strong enough to carry 700kg of goods. It can be considered an average weight per meter of the parts of 420 g/m
- It has to allow the storage and collection of pieces 1 by 1, 2 by 2 up until 4 by 4.
Other important needs that are also stated in the document: specifications.pdf
This is a 3-round challenge. The evaluation criteria in each round for the proposed solutions are:
- Storage density (goal: 200 pieces/m3)
- Easily portable and safe to move
- Ergonomic: Compliance with required cycle time requirements (6 sec.)
- Lower investment. Required investment in each container should be below 550€
- Possibility to integrate into each end line
If you wish to participate in this design project you have to submit a solution in our platform.
The winner will be awarded with a prize between 4000-5000 € and 1000€ for the first runnerup (read more info in the challenge description).